A Personalized Version of Chicken Bourguignon

I never used to cook. Actually, I hated cooking!  For years on end, I used to get my mother to cook or have food delivered. However, in the last five years or so, cooking has become a favourite occupation. It helps me relax and unwind after a long day at work or it brightens up a dull weekend. When I have some more free time, I enjoy creating my own recipes - like my very personalized version of chicken bourguignon. The first shocking fact about my recipe is that I didn't add mushrooms! I can't eat them!  The second shocking fact is that I decided to add a yellow pepper! The third shocking fact is that I served my personalized chicken bourguignon with whole-wheat spaghetti and grated cheese! I must humbly admit, however, that it was delicious! Hmm... I guess I must give it a different name!  Chicken Anastasia, for example?
Chicken Bourguignon
Ingredients (serve 4)
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in small cubes
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into medium-sized discs
  • 1 big yellow pepper cut into relatively thin stripes
  • 1 glass of dry white wine
  • 1 cup of tomato sauce (fresh or canned)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 250 g whole-wheat spaghetti
  • some grated cheese
Directions
  • Heat the olive oil and sauté the onions for a minute or two. Then add the garlic.
  • Add the carrots, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
  • Add the yellow pepper, mix and cook 3-5 minutes.
  • Add the chicken and cook till soft but not brown.
  • Add the wine and cook for a minute or two till the alcohol evaporates.
  • Add the tomato sauce and mix.
  • Let the food simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat.
In the meantime, prepare your side dish - whole-wheat spaghetti
  • Boil the whole-wheat spaghetti al dente (5-8 minutes) in some chicken stock or chicken broth
  • Strain and serve with the chicken. Add some grated cheese to taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February in Cyprus

A Virtual Tour of Larnaca

A Special Treat