Healthy Cooking Tips

Insight every fat girl
There's a thin girl trying to get out
Sweet and sad and slinky
That nobody even knows about
(Fran Lanesman)
Interlaken-Switzerland-July1978
Interlaken, Switzerland - July 1978

In my early twenties, as a student in Switzerland, I was really fat. I could have been even fatter but I walked a lot and went horseriding 3 times a week. I didn't know how to cook, so I indulged in junk food such as burgers and pizza, sweets, chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks - not to mention raclette or cheese fondue! Within a year, I had forgotten all about my mum's healthy cooking based on the Mediterranean Diet . Consuming so many fatty and unhealthy foods for a long time took its toll and I had to have my gallbladder removed at the age of 25.
DSCN4197
my favourite sweets

Since then, I've decided to adopt a healthier eating pattern. At the beginning, healthy eating made me feel depressed and unhappy. It was as if I were permanently on diet. I also gave up fizzy drinks - cola in particular - and replaced them with fruit juices and water. However, I've never been deprived of my favourite sweets, chocolate or apple pie, but these were exceptions occurring only occasionally. After all, variety is the spice of life.
DSCN5139
greek salad

Before I knew it, I started to feel healthier, stronger, happier and lighter.  Adopting a healthier eating pattern and sticking to it involves changing lifestyles, and I was determined to change mine. So I took up regular exercise as well - walking in particular. It might sound hard to accomplish but, in actual fact, it doesn't really take a lot of effort - just an effort of will.  I did not starve to death or go on diet, neither did I ban fatty foods from my life. I just changed my methods of cooking. 
Chickenburgers
grilled chicken burgers
DSCN5512
fresh lemon juice

 In order to reduce my calorie intake, grilling or roasting my food - especially meat - was the answer. I've also replaced fatty sauces with fresh lemon juice or a little mustard. Steaming is a particularly healthy way of cooking fish and veggies while baking fish in the oven with onions, fresh tomatoes, a few drops of olive oil and lots of oregano is a delicious alternative. As for cooking potatoes, well, I know you can't beat roasting them or frying them There was a time when I had french fries with every meal. Naturally, I still eat chips but only once in a while. I usually boil or dry roast my potatoes using just a little olive oil and lots of spices and lemon juice. Stir-frying, especially vegetables, is another healthy way of cooking that appeals to me. This helps food retain both its taste and nutrients.
DSC00602
stir-frying vegetables
Judging from my experience, the bottom line is: a healthy diet cannot be imposed on anyone - it's the individual's choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February in Cyprus

A Virtual Tour of Larnaca

A Special Treat