Walking by the Sea

As I was walking along the seafront this morning enjoying the early morning breeze, I couldn't tell where the blue seas ended and the blue skies began. I could only feel the rhythm of the foamy waves and the morning sun scattering diamonds across the water.
Ayios Theodoros Beach
 
In my teens, I thought I was very unlucky! In Nicosia, I couldn't see the
sea nor could I go for a walk along the beach just after school. I had to wait for the school holidays to spend a few days by the seaside. Later, as a student in Switzerland and despite the breathless beauty of lakes and mountains and forests, I always missed the sun shimmering on a calm, blue sea , pebbles startling the sea water into ringlets, the silvery sheen of the moon on the water , sleepy lagoons, the wave's trough, lazy, dozy days on a golden beach or miles upon miles of endless sea and sky.

Beach

This morning I could smell the fishy aroma saturated in the air and felt the sweet surge and retreat of the sea . Slushy sand filled in my footsteps, denying my passage, I could even picture mermaids in the deep, blue water . Sometimes, the shoreline vanishes beneath the greedy fingers of fog, yet the beauty of the sea remains unspoilt.

Ladysmile_beach_lemesos

I'd sit hours on end just contemplating the sea - I do feel so lucky I now live only a short walk away from her. The Venerable Lady as Mrs Claire Angelides describes her. So, when I talk to her, I always call her "My Lady". In her own, unique way, Her Ladyship always provides me with soothingly invigorating answers when I'm sad, and with a gay laughter when I'm happy. Some people call her "ocean" but to me she's nothing like the ocean. She is the sea - thalassa in greek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Virtual Tour of Larnaca

February in Cyprus

A Special Treat